It’s hard for me to explain why I love this book so much. It’s won multiple awards (including the Sid Fleischman Humor Award), and gotten great reviews, and went from hardcover to paperback, and made my client and me some nice money, and all of that. But none of those things are what I love about it. Perhaps it’s because it was the first book I sold. Perhaps it’s because I’ve read it so many times, when Bill was writing it, when we were getting it ready to send out on submission, and after it was published. But none of those things are really what I love about it.
I love this book because it really and truly speaks to me. I’m not a gay boy. I’m not a teenager. I don’t live in Colorado or go to boarding school or ski or anything. But this is a book about labeling and not labeling and just being a person. And I love that. If you haven’t read this yet, you should. In my (not so) humble opinion, I think it’s a young adult GLBTQ classic.
This is what you’ll need to do for a chance to win a copy of Openly Straight:
- You have to be on Twitter
- On Thursday 4/21 and until 9am on Friday 4/22, Tweet the following: I want to read #OpenlyStraight by @BillKonigsberg @LindaEpstein!
- If you want, you can add why you want to read it (if you can keep it under 140 characters!).
- Although you can only enter to win once, I would appreciate if you would also RT the link to this blog post and that there’s a contest.
- I’ll contact the winner on Twitter on Friday 4/22.